Built in 1832, the Rideau Canal links the city of Ottawa on the Ottawa River to the city of Kingston, Ontario, on Lake Ontario, a distance of over 126 miles. Designed by architect John By, the Canal was constructed in the event of war with the United States.
Here, a short film of the stretch through the capital city of Ottawa depicts the several locks necessary to make easy the transit of canal boats over various changes in elevation, and over hills and down along valleys out in the countryside. The “Rideau” means “curtain” in French, describing thr the curtain–like appearance if the twin waterfalls where they join the Ottawa River. The canal system uses several rivers and lakes to operate the 45 locks system.
Originally the Canal was used for commercial uses. Today, the canal is used largely by tourists for recreations.