Sometime in 1896 or 1897, the Steamer Saint Lucie joined the Steamers “Saint Augustine,” “Saint Sebastian,” and “The Swan” in plying the waters of the Indian River. The Indian River and Bay Biscayne Inland Navigation Company, an affiliate of the Florida canal company constructing the ICW, purchased these vessels from the bankrupt Indian River Steamboat Company. Between constant repairs and an uneven business along the unfinished waterway, it was only a matter of time before this new steamboat company would abandon the business in the early 1900’s.
The Florida canal company formed the Indian River and Bay Biscayne Inland Navigation Company to acquire and run steamers on the nearly complete Florida East Coast Canal in the late 1890s. This steamboat company bought the steamers when the prior owner, the Indian River Steamboat Company, went bankrupt. Courtesy, Florida State Archives, Tallahassee, Fla.
The “Steamboat “Saint Lucie” tied up at the Rock Ledge (Rockledge) Landing.